Minnesota Grown is happy to offer two cost-share programs to support Minnesota Grown members with marketing costs. Follow the links below to learn more about each of these opportunities. Not a member? Learn about eligibility and how to join.
E-Commerce and Digital Marketing Cost-Share
Minnesota Grown members can now reach additional consumers through a new cost-share to support e-commerce and digital marketing. Minnesota Grown is supporting costs associated with website design, e-commerce, digital advertising, and digital marketing consulting and training.
The Agricultural Growth, Research, and Innovation (AGRI) program has provided one-time funding of $50,000 per fiscal year to reimburse expenses incurred from July 2023 through June 2025. Make your plans to take advantage of this opportunity during this two-year period. This cost-share reimburses 50% of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $3,000 per member per fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
To apply for this program, your business must be:
- A Minnesota farm, farmers’ market, or producer of products eligible for Minnesota Grown labeling, AND
- A small-to-medium enterprise, which is an entity with fewer than 500 employees, AND
- A current holder of a Minnesota Grown License
We reserve the right to deny claims from entities not in good standing with the State, or those who do not comply with the program requirements.
*Contact us before you invest if you have questions on eligibility or qualified expenses.*
Eligible claims may include payments to third-party vendors for services such as:
- Third-party e-commerce marketplace or platform.
- Includes registration and sign-up fees, fees paid based on sales, and fees for premium positioning. Shipping fees are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Digital, email, and social media advertising.
- Includes advertising on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media and investments in email marketing formats such as Constant Contact, Hubspot, and MailChimp.
- (Consider tagging #MNGrown or linking to minnesotagrown.com)
- Photo or video editing software subscriptions.
- Monthly subscriptions must include all monthly invoices and you must be able to show proof of use in e-commerce or digital marketing upon request.
- E-commerce, digital marketing, or social media consulting or management contracts.
- Consultants must be registered business entities and you must provide an invoice as well as an overview of services provided.
- E-commerce, digital marketing, or social media training and educational event attendance.
- Website design and setup contracts if you include a Minnesota Grown logo and link to minnesotagrown.com on the final site.
- Includes photography or videography, website extensions, and other web store utilities.
- Designer/Developer must be a registered business entity and you must provide an invoice as well as an overview of services provided.
Costs that are not eligible for this program include:
- Expenses that are reimbursed by another state or federal entity (for example, those reimbursed by the New Markets Cost-share program).
- Equipment, hardware, and supplies.
- Print advertising and printing.
- Electronic payment equipment.
- General business management software.
- Merchandise and merchandise processing fees.
- Retailer and other re-seller web marketplace platforms. (e.g., Walmart.com, Target.com)
- Staff payroll.
We process applications on a first-come, first-served basis until the application deadline or until funds allocated for the fiscal year (July 1- June 30) run out, whichever is first. If funds remain through the end of the fiscal year, the final application deadline for expenses incurred July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024, is July 15, 2024.
How to Apply
Apply through our online application system.
- If you are a new user, you will need to create an account.
- Once you are logged in, select Minnesota Grown E-Commerce and Digital Marketing Cost-Share (July 1, 2023-June 30, 2024).
- If this is your first time applying for reimbursement, you must also submit a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer ID and Certification): Within the application system, complete the online W-9 Power Form hosted by DocuSign, our secure signing system. Download the completed form and upload it to the online applications system.
- Include proof of payment (receipts or invoices with a zero balance) for expenses paid during the eligible period. If you don’t have receipts, you can send a copy of the invoice with proof of payment (a canceled check or credit card statement with account and other private information redacted).
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-6140.
Labeling and Signage Cost-Share
If you are developing a new label, tag, bag, box or permanent sign and would like to add the Minnesota Grown logo directly into your packaging or signage design, you may be eligible to receive 50% back on your design and printing costs, up to $300 in the current fiscal year. To take advantage of the program:
- Pick a professional printer who works best for your printing needs.
- Send a short description of your project and your current Minnesota Grown logo license number to email@example.com to receive eligibility approval, logo use guidelines, and get electronic copies of the logo files. You can find your license number using MDA's Licensing Information Search. Select Minnesota Grown Labeling from the License Type box.
- Complete the project with your printer and have the printer include a final invoice showing proof of payment received from you for the project. You will upload this invoice with the Cost-Share Application form.
- Fill out the Minnesota Grown Labeling/Signage Cost-Share Application form, including all required documentation listed on the form. You will need your Minnesota Grown Labeling License number, which you can find using MDA's License Lookup Tool. If you prefer to apply by mail, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-6140. We can mail you paper application forms to complete and return by mail.
- Fill out the W-9 Request for the Minnesota Grown Labeling/Signage Cost-Share Application.
- Let Minnesota Grown know if you followed these steps but haven't seen that reimbursement check arrive in the mail within 2-3 weeks. Staff will also proactively reach out to you if they need any clarification on the documents you uploaded.
For more information, see our frequently asked questions below or contact email@example.com with questions.
Participation in this program is based on fund availability throughout the fiscal year and is available to all members with qualifying projects on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Labeling and Signage Cost-Share Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I send the application?
You can submit application materials electronically to using the forms linked above.
When is the application and supporting documentation due?
Applications are processed as they come in, until funds run out for the fiscal year. The fiscal year runs July 1- June 30 each year. Applications must be submitted in the same fiscal year the expenses were incurred. July 1 and after, we can no longer accept applications for expenses incurred June 30 or before in the previous fiscal year.
Do I need to be a Minnesota Grown member to apply for this program?
Yes, you need to have a current/valid Minnesota Grown License to participate. (This is an 8-digit number, beginning with 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ _.) You can find your license number using MDA's Licensing Information Search. Select Minnesota Grown Labeling from the License Type box.
How much am I eligible to receive?
Reimbursement depend on the total cost of designing and printing your labels or signage that features the Minnesota Grown label. This program reimburses 50% of qualifying design/printing costs, up to a maximum reimbursement of $300 per fiscal year, while funds last. The fiscal year runs from July 1 - June 30 of each year.
Where can I find a W-9 form?
Please submit your W-9 form information at the link above. This submits directly to the MDA finance staff who need it to make the reimbursement check.
When can I expect payment?
Requests are processed continuously, as long as funds are available. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
Where can I find the Minnesota Grown label artwork?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for files. You may convert the logo into any color you wish, but the logo must be legible from a reasonable distance for the size of packaging or signage you are creating. The logo shape should not be altered.
Is my project eligible?
Most packaging (labels, bags, boxes, tags) and permanent signs will be eligible. Items like business cards, direct mail pieces, online or paper advertisements, clothing, or flyers are not eligible.
What about demonstrations, tradeshows or sampling?
The Minnesota Department of Agriculture has support for small to medium-sized Minnesota food companies, farmers and ranchers who add value to their products, agricultural cooperatives, and others, to investigate new markets by attending and participating in more local, regional and international wholesale food events, and do more retail product sampling events (demos). Please see Sampling Cost-Share/ Tradeshow Support Program for more information.
What about my privacy?
Under state law, we must provide demographic information (like name and address) if asked. We do not release private information, such as social security numbers. We are happy to connect you with the MDA Data Practices manager if you have any questions.